The Catholic University of America
faq banner photo

3 Ways to Find Majors

1Exploratory Major

2Majors by Interest Area

3Majors List


Answers to Common Questions

Current Students

CUA Accounts

Academics and Enrollment

Grades and Exams


Opportunities at CUA

Student Support Services


Billing and Payment

CUA Accounts

How do I find my network logon and password?

A temporary user ID and password is sent to all students who apply to CUA. When you matriculate, you receive a permanent CUA network logon name. You can access your new network logon using the temporary information you received in the mail.

Log in to Cardinal Station using your temporary user ID and password. From the Student Center page, select "CUA Logon Accounts" from the drop-down menu in the Personal Information section. Here, you will find your network logon (2 numbers and your last name) and instructions for creating your own password.

Additional resources:
Step-by-step guide with images
CUA computer accounts overview

Troubleshooting tips

How do I log into Blackboard?

Your network logon provides access to Cardinal Station, campus computers, Blackboard, and other services. To access Blackboard, use the same logon and password that you use for Cardinal Station.

Back to Top


Academics and Enrollment

How do I register for classes?

Registration is completed online through Cardinal Station. Incoming first-year students register for their first semester in July. Current students register for fall classes in March and spring classes in November. Registration dates for current students can be found on the Academic Calendar. Registration help can be found here.

Can I view course syllabi and course evaluations?

Course syllabi and course evaluations from past semesters are available to anyone with a CUA logon account and may be helpful in choosing your courses. Syllabi may be viewed here, and course evaluations may be viewed here.

How do I add, drop, or withdraw from a course? What are the deadlines?

Use Cardinal Station to make changes to your enrollment. You may add new course to your schedule or drop a course in which you are enrolled without penalty in the first two weeks of the semester. Courses dropped within this two-week window will not appear on your academic record. The deadline to add or drop classes is the second Friday of the term. View the Academic Calendar for the current semester’s deadline.

If you decide to remove a course from your schedule after the drop/add period has ended, a “W” grade will appear on your record. Read the full policy for Withdrawal from a Course on CUA’s Policies Website.

All first-year students have a hold placed on their account in their first semester. This hold prevents you from withdrawing from a class without consulting with the appropriate advisor and dean’s office. You can begin the withdrawal process by contacting your Undergraduate Advisor or Major Advisor.

How do I find a tracking sheet?

You may obtain an unofficial copy of your tracking sheet by logging into Cardinal Station. Go to Student Self-Service, select "Degree Progress," and follow instructions. 

Back to Top


Grades and Exams

Where can I view my grades?

Grades are posted in Cardinal Station at the end of each semester. To view your grades, log in to Cardinal Station, navigate to the Student Center page, and select “Grades” from the drop-down menu next to your course schedule.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Your current GPA is available in Cardinal Station in the “Grades” menu, under the “Term Statistics” header. To calculate your GPA, use this chart to convert letter grades into numerical values. Then, use the following formula:

X = credit hours

Y = converted letter grade value

1,2,3,4,5 = different courses

[(X1*Y1)+(X2*Y2)+(X3*Y3)+(X4*Y4)+(X5*Y5)]   ÷   (X1+X2+X3+X4+X5)

This formula will yield the number of quality points earned divided by the number of credits attempted - your GPA.

When are midterms and exams?

The University’s Academic Calendar is published on the Enrollment Services website. It includes midterms, finals, holidays, and important dates for enrollment.

How can I find out my exam schedule?

Each class period is assigned a particular date and time for the final exam. You can view the final exam meeting times for your classes in Cardinal Station. The full final exam schedule is also published at the beginning of each semester on the Enrollment Services website.

Example: A class that meets on Mondays and begins between 10:00 and 10:55am will meet for the final exam on Wednesday of exam week between 8:00 and 10:00am.

I have multiple exams scheduled at the same time, or more than three exams on the same day. What should I do?

Contact the Dean of your school at least 14 days before the end of classes to report an exam conflict. The Dean’s office will assist you in rescheduling the necessary exams.

Read the full Final Exam Policy on CUA’s Policies website.

Back to Top



How and when do I declare my major?

You will first choose a major when you apply to CUA. However, many students change their major at some point. To change the major you selected on your application before you begin your first semester, contact the Admissions Office. To change your major after you have started taking classes, contact your Undergraduate Advisor or current Major Advisor.

You have the option to spend your freshman and sophomore years as an Exploratory Major, and you must declare a major no later than the end of your sophomore year. 

If you are interested in a major in in the professional schools (e.g., Nursing, Engineering, Architecture) or any major in the natural sciences (e.g., Biology, Physics), it is a good idea to declare that major at the beginning of your first year in order to graduate on time. Other majors allow more time for exploration.

Can I change my major?

Instructions for changing your major, including moving from an Exploratory Major into a departmental major, are available here. You should work with your Undergraduate Advisor and Major Advisor to ensure that you complete all necessary steps. For majors outside the School of Arts and Sciences, please contact your Undergraduate Advisor and Major Advisor.

What if my new major is in a different school?

Consult with both your current Major Advisor and your Undergraduate Advisor for transfers between CUA schools. Information about transferring from the School of Arts and Sciences into another CUA school can be found here.

Can I double major?

In order to be accepted to a double major, a student must earn a 3.2 cumulative GPA and obtain approval from the academic dean(s) of the relevant school(s) and meet any additional criteria set by the relevant school(s). Students are ordinarily accepted into a double major during the spring semester of their sophomore year. Read the full policy for double majors here.

What classes do I need to take beyond my major?

Curriculum requirements vary depending on your major and school. Distribution requirements for majors in the school of Arts and Sciences can be found online here. For majors in Engineering, Business and Economics, Nursing, Architecture and Planning, Music, or the National Catholic School of Social Service, please visit the individual school’s website, contact the individual school, or contact the Undergraduate Advising Center.

Back to Top


Opportunities at CUA

What internship opportunities are available at CUA?

The Office of Career Services offers a wealth of resources for selecting and pursuing internships, including Hire a Cardinal, a job and internship database that is open only to CUA students. Career Services also has resources to guide you through the internship application process, like resume guidelines and interview tips.

Are there any research opportunities for undergraduates?

Undergraduate students who excel in a particular subject area may be invited to participate in a faculty research project. To pursue such an opportunity, contact your Major Advisor or another faculty member in the discipline of your choice.

Can I study abroad?

CUA offers a wide range of study abroad programs. The CUAbroad website contains information about program options, applications, tuition costs, and guidelines for planning.

Back to Top


Student Support Services

How does advising work at CUA?

Each student is paired with an Undergraduate Advisor the summer before starting at CUA. Your advisor will help you choose and register for classes, discuss majors and extracurricular activities with you, and help you get acclimated to college. When you declare a major, you will also begin working with a Major Advisor in your academic department. More information about advising is available from the Undergraduate Advising Center.

Are tutoring services available?

The Center for Academic Success offers tutoring, academic coaching, workshops, peer mentoring, and more. The Writing Center is a useful source of help for writing assignments, and the Math Center provides study support for all math and math-based courses. Librarians are also available for help using the library’s many resources.

How does CUA accommodate students with disabilities?

Information about accommodations and services can be found on CUA’s Disability Support Services website.

Back to Top



Can I take time away from CUA?

Instructions and forms for academic leave are available here. You can also read the full policy for Interruption of Studies, Academic Leave, and Term Withdrawal on CUA’s Policies website.

How do I withdraw from CUA?

Instructions and forms for permanent withdrawal are available here. You can also read the full policy for Permanent Withdrawal on CUA’s Policies website.

How does CUA handle academic dishonesty? is dedicated to a discussion of academic integrity at CUA, and should be reviewed by all students. The University’s Policies and Procedures for academic dishonesty are available in full on CUA’s Policies website.

What are CUA's attendance policies?

Always consult the syllabus for each individual course to learn about attendance requirements for that particular class. CUA's general attendance policy is available here (XIII), and the absence policy for students athletes is available here.

Back to Top


Billing and Payment

What does it cost to attend CUA?

Information about tuition, room and board, fees, and other costs is available on the Financial Aid website.

How do I submit payment?

CardinalPAY allows students and Authorized Payers to view account statements and submit payment online via e-check, credit card, or debit card. Other payment options include paper check, money order, cash, Cardinal Card, and wire transfer. A monthly payment plan option is also available.

I have a hold on my account. What should I do?

A hold on your account prevents you from registering for classes. Enrollment Services can place a hold on your account for things like unpaid balances and missing paperwork. Holds are also used to make sure you meet with your advisor before you register for classes, and in your first semester, to prevent you from dropping a class without first talking to your advisor.

To find out more about your hold, click on the “Holds” box in the upper right corner of the Student Center page in Cardinal Station. Click on the name of the hold for a description, and take the necessary actions to resolve it. Your Undergraduate Advisor can help you with this process.

Back to Top