The Catholic University of America

Process: Off-Campus Courses for Current Students


1. Planning and advising:

Your advisors can help you identify requirements that you might fulfill with a summer course. The transfer credit office does not provide advising. Advising questions should be directed to your undergraduate advisor and/or major advisor.

If you intend to transfer a course to fulfill a major requirement, you will need approval from your major department. The Off-Campus Course Policy form requires you to receive written permission from the department Academic Advising Coordinator that you may take a course in your major. Written permission does not mean the specific course is approved.  The course must still be evaluated for an equivalent and must count towards the completion of your major. Written permission should be submitted along with the form. If you do not do so, the transfer credit office will request that you obtain that permission prior to processing any more paperwork.

2. Complete the form:

Fill out the Off-Campus Course Evaluation Form. Complete all student portions of this form. This is where you will list specific off-campus institution and course information.

In addition to the form, please review the following:

Don't understand how to fill out the form? Look at the example.

Submit the forms to the coordinator via email, mail, or drop off in McMahon Hall 07 with reception. Paperwork is not processed in the presence of the student. Email delivery is preferred.

3. Course evaluation:

"Course evaluation" means that the course will be reviewed, by faculty, for a CUA equivalency (ex. WRT 101 at University= ENG 101 at CUA). Transfer courses must equal CUA courses. The transfer courses must have similar content, grading schema, assignments, course objectives, etc. The faculty member will determine a CUA equivalency by reviewing supporting documents such as a course description and/or syllabus. Do not know what a syllabus is? See the example.
The transfer credit office checks your courses against a database of previously evaluated courses. Courses not previously evaluated will require additional documentation. To speed up the evaluation process, it is highly recommended that you submit these documents with your initial paperwork. Otherwise, the transfer credit office will request these documents:
- A  syllabus for all community college courses
- A course description for all 4-year college courses
- A syllabus for all courses in art, art history, history, language, literature, media studies, music, and philosophy
-A syllabus for online courses. The syllabus must show that it is an online course.

NOTE: Syllabi are required for courses in the disciplines listed above. There are no exceptions to this requirement.

The transfer credit office will send your course information to the appropriate academic departments for review. Faculty members in those departments will determine the CUA equivalencies of your courses.

When faculty evaluations are complete, the transfer credit office will note the equivalencies on your Off-Campus Course Evaluation Form. "Equivalency" does not guarantee transfer of credit. A course must fulfill a requirement for your degree; courses that do not meet this requirement, despite having an equivalency, will not be accepted (transferred).

Once the equivalencies of your courses have been completed, the transfer credit office will contact you by email with any required next steps.


4. Posting of credit:

After you have completed the off-campus course, send your official transcript (with grades) to the transfer credit office as indicated on the evaluation request form. For an explanation of what is considered an offiical transcript and means of delivery, please see our FAQ.

The transfer credit office will deliver the transcript to your CUA school. Your school will post your credit and notify you when that has been completed.


Remember, you must complete these steps before you take any off-campus courses! If your course is not properly evaluated, you may not get credit for your work. If you submit the form past the May 1st deadline, we cannot promise a quick turn-around time. Therefore, if you are on a deadline to register you may do so at your own risk.


Questions about this process? Also read the Transfer of Credit for Off-Campus Courses page and the FAQ before contacting the transfer credit office.